Monday, January 24, 2005

So What the Heck Have I Been Up To?

Um, okay, so I've been somewhat absent lately, although I've posted here now and then to let ya'll know I'm still alive and least sort of well. So what the heck have I been up to?

Well, the biggest news - healthwise anyway - is that I've now been diagnosed with mild hypertension. Not really hard to diagnose if you can measure blood pressure. Back in December the doc noticed my blood pressure was a bit high (I'd been a perfect 120-over-70 all my life up to now). He blamed it on decongestants and told me to come back in another month. Well, the BP monitor at home was telling me that the added exercise and better diet wasn't helping. I'm now taking a mild ACE inhibitor which seems to be helping. Yeah, I've climbed another rung on the Ladder of Old Age.

Other stuff that's going on is that I'm going to be serving on a Walk to Emmaus team next month, and I will be leading the logistical support team for the men's walk. As the Phoenix walks are typically held at my church, I also serve as liaison between the church and the Board of Directors for the Arizona Walk to Emmaus. This upcoming set of walks (we do a separate walk for men and women) is particularly challenging as we have started a contemporary worship that is held in our fellowship hall every Sunday morning - the same fellowship hall that is heavily utilized during the walks - and the same fellowship hall that our pastor doesn't care to relinquish four Sundays a year. That's okay, we can work around that. We're also having trouble with the charter school that rents space (and I use the term "rents" loosely) from our church. That may be the bigger challenge unless they get evicted in the next couple of weeks. I must admit that I'm praying for that. Needless to say, putting on this set of walks is challenging, but rather fun as we are finding all kinds of creative ways to mix up the routine so it is not disruptive to everything else going on.

Saturday was enjoyable as we have a new class of Stephen Ministers from six or seven churches in the area that have just completed their training and are about to be commissioned. Our Stephen Ministry group will be serving communion on February 6 and we will all be recommissioned on February 13 along with our two newest members.

Sunday was a day of mixed blessings. After church, S and I went over to Scottsdale to attend a memorial service for a friend of ours. He was a member of the Emmaus community, and was also a coworker of my late father-in-law. Gene was an extraordinary Christian with an odd sense of humor - a quality that no one will ever forget. He even kept up his humor right through his hospice care.

We also attended a bridal shower for the son and fiancee of S's cousin. It was a shower where couples were encouraged to attend, and it was mostly family and close friends. It was actually a lot of fun, even for the guys.

Work has been busy. Since the first of the year, we've had two new trainees on the team. I'm the guy who's quality-checking their work. So far, so good. I'm also keeping track of our inventory during this quarter. Busy, busy.

Finally, it's awesome to see God working. Our choir is responsible for cooking and serving dinner for the homeless this coming Sunday. The president of our choir came to me yesterday in somewhat of a panic. She's been called upon to help chaperone the youth on their snow trip next weekend and isn't sure she can help us on Sunday. Fortunately, I've done the feeding the homeless quite a few times and reassured her I can get things going in the kitchen. Problem solved. God provides. And I am the one to answer the call.

Well, it certainly has been busy. 'Night.

No comments: