Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Desert in Bloom


With all the rains we've had this past winter comes a wonderful bonus - wildflowers galore. The Sonoran Desert is ablaze with wildflowers. Mountainsides which are usually drab and boring with the usual brown dotted with scrub and cactus are now thick with green and yellow. Unfortunately, when the rains have subsided for the season and the summer heat hits, we're in for a pretty rough fire season in the Phoenix area. But for the time being, we are blessed with this wonderful splendor.


I took a hike today through Thunderbird Regional Park, which encompasses the Hedgepeth Hills at the north end of Glendale. With camera in hand I took a lot of pictures and I'm sharing a few of my favorites with you now.

The weather was gorgeous today, although it was pretty windy.

I also had an unfortunate little accident. Coming down from the hill I was already on the good part of the trail (no rocks, just smooth, fine gravel and dirt) and being rather complacent and not watching the ground. I never saw the rut in the otherwise good part of the trail. My right foot planted itself - or tried to - into the rut. It doesn't look broken and it's okay if I don't put a lot of weight on it. Probably be real sore in the morning.

But considering the pictures I got, it was worth it. Enjoy.


Stately sahuaro cacti.

Even the cacti are in bloom.

The hills are alive...

No comments: