Saturday, March 26, 2005

Eating Telemarketers For Breakfast: Dynasty Mortgage Called On the Carpet

As soon as it had become available, our household became amongst the millions of telephone numbers registered on the National Do Not Call Registry. It was extremely effective in stopping the incessant calls from telemarketers wanting to sell us stuff we didn't need or want.

But alas, there was one company - Dynasty Mortgage - that felt they were above the law. They called me twice, insisting they had every right to, despite my being on the National Do Not Call List. In fact, they were most arrogant and disrepectful towards me.

I'm not the only one they did this to. On March 1, 2005 the Federal Communications Communications commission issued a press release outlining their proposal to levy fines of $770,000 against Dynasty Mortgage for violating rules regarding the National Do Not Call list. The complaint against Dynasty Mortgage was pretty specific. I was sorry that I hadn't filed a complaint against them myself. Needless to say, I was pretty happy to hear Dynasty Mortgage was called on the carpet.

But just when I thought we were safe from these annoying calls, we got one not even a week later after the FCC's press release. My wife answered the phone and had me pick up. It was from AZ Prime One Mortgage. I think they were sorry they called. I thoroughly raked them over the coals, to which they arrogantly replied that were exempt from these rules. I spoke with the so-called marketing manager (what marketing manager works on a Sunday night?) who told me to do more research. I don't need to do more research - the FTC's rules are clear and specific on the rules - and AZ Prime One Mortgage is not exempt in any way shape or form (they are not a bank, savings and loan, or credit union).

Sadly, the so-called marketing manager would not budge on his position, and I informed him that he was an idiot and ended the call. I then filed a complaint with the FTC.

Word to telemarketers: do not violate the National Do Not Call List. I will eat you for breakfast.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to have read your comments re: Dynasty Mortgage. I know the Director of Marketing personally and am not surprised that this has happened. Having seen him on our local news trying to downplay the severity of these allegations and appear confident that they have been wrongly accused only makes me convinced that I made the right choice in divorcing him. I know vengeance is the Lord's, but I sure am enjoying the ride!

Paul said...

He sure did look and talk slick, didn't he? These people CANNOT be allowed to get out of this one.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Paul- Prime One does not feel sorry at all about calling people who are on the do-not-call list. On 2/6/2006 we received exactly the same call with exactly the same argument "we are exempt from the do-not-call list" obviously these guys consider Arizona a banana republic were laws can be ignored without any consequences.

regards, steve

Anonymous said...

I knew the owner of Dynasty, and interestingly enough, the owner used to run the TM floor at Prime One. Small world huh?

Anonymous said...

I just read your story about dynasy mortgage, and i'm sorry. i worked with the president of dynasy just a month ago at his new company. he is doing the same stuff, plus a lot of other illegal things. im about to see if i can get someone to investigate his company because he is not a good person. i hated working with him. i was a telemarketer for him, and i called several people who told me they were on the dnc list. i never called them again, but i don't think they had any sort of process for getting rid of those numbers. all we did was toss them in a basket which was right next to the numbers to call basket. he needs to be stopped and not be allowed to own any more businesses. he should be in prison.