Friday, June 10, 2005

The Holy Spirit: How It Empowers Us

I have to share an amazing story, but first I have to give you a little background.

Tuesday was National Hunger Awareness Day. A local food bank set up shop in six local area churches here in the Valley, including ours. Usually people come with coupons handed out in the neighborhood beforehand and pick up food boxes from the parking lot. We had never participated in this event, so we did it a little differently. They actually came into our fellowship hall where we offered them breakfast. We had also collected clothing, shoes, books, and a few toys to give away.

I observed one young man going through the clothing and was somehow drawn to him. He was looking for something nice to wear for a job interview he had that day. L was quite thankful as it was just to be there. He changed into a nice clean shirt (after I had directed him to the restroom) and came out looking pretty sharp. He also had come to the book table which I was in charge of looking after. We also had about a dozen or so reading glasses that were donated. He was looking for a pair for a friend - specifically 2.75 magnification. We didn't have any - the strongest we had was 2.25.

Later, one of my fellow choir members came by with a bag she had forgotten to bring in on Sunday. There were quite a few books, some clothing, a few toys - and a pair of reading glasses. As D and I talked, I noticed that across the room that L was about to pick up his food box.

I excused myself because the small still voice in my heart reminded me that I hadn't checked the reading glasses that D had brought in moments before. When I checked them, I confirmed what I somehow knew - they were 2.75's! I practically ran across the room to give them to L. He had been thankful before; but this time his joy really showed as he hugged my neck pretty good there.

It is amazing how God uses us and empowers us through the Holy Spirit. He used it to put this event together. He used it to bring L to our church. He used it to tell D to go ahead and bring her bag to church anyway. He used it to draw me to L. And He used it to bring joy to a man's heart - through a pair of reading glasses - that he himself would give away.

Amazing. Amen.

No comments: