Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Governor Comes to Church

Do you remember the episode of M*A*S*H when General MacArthur was coming to inspect the camp? There was so much hoopla over the preparations and they went to a lot of trouble to keep Klinger out of sight. They went as far as rehearsing it with Radar playing the part of the general, complete with his trademark corncob pipe. When MacArthur did arrive (earlier than expected), he never got out of the jeep as it drove through the camp. In fact, he barely even looked up. Only when the general's jeep passed by Klinger - dressed like the Statue of Liberty with a sparkling torch - did he take notice and returned a crisp salute to the dogface in drag.

That's the thought that crossed my mind this morning as our church service was starting. We've known for over a month that our governor, the Honorable Janet Napolitano, was to attend today's service and deliver a message. Predictably it was a three-ring circus - there's just enough uptight people in our church to make that happen.

For starters, our choir director picked some music to perform along with a brass quintet (we don't usually have a brass quinted - just at Christmas and Easter for the most part). The anthem was a screamer. We can usually handle screamers when we're well into the season. But this was the first Sunday of the season, and speaking for the 1st Tenors, our throats aren't quite ready sing screamers.

During rehearsal this morning, I was standing between two rookie(-ish) choir members. We were struggling to find the notes in the final chord progression (it was a rather odd progression). After looking at the score, I advised them, "The brass are doubling our part - just pick one of their notes and go with it."

The service didn't start off well. Our liturgist hadn't shown up yet, so N, the lady in charge of scheduling the liturgists (and the liturgist's mother!), took over. The choir wasn't lined up for the procession. The uptight folks were even more so. I was telling some to just relax.

Even with the minor hitches (the liturgist finally showed up) it turned out to be quite a lovely service. Our anthem went very well (we hit the right notes, and I got goosebumps) and the contemporary singers (of which my stepdaughter sings with) were awesome. Then Governor Napolitano delivered a wonderful message.

She commended the efforts made in our state towards helping the victims from Hurricane Katrina. She mentioned that is hoped that all who are being sheltered in the Veteran's Coliseum would have found more permanent housing by the end of the week. She commended efforts that churches around the state have been made and challenged us to continue those efforts in dealing with our own homeless population, which is estimated at about 30,000.

Did I actually meet her? Not really. I did pass within a few feet of her as the choir processed in and again as we recessed. As a matter of fact, during the recessional hymn I ignored the fact we were in church. I turned to her and said, "Thanks for coming." She smiled back.

I don't agree with our governor's politics - in fact it's likely we're opposites. However, she has addressed some pretty sticky issues that Arizona is facing and has kept politics out of it. For that, I'm impressed with the job she's done. Her message today was at least a subtle affirmation.

While there was quite a bit of fuss over this visit, I suppose that some of it was necessary. After all, a state governor is entitled to the appropriate amount of respect. But I'm not easily impressed by celebrity or position. I figured that Governor Napolitano is otherwise a regular person like the rest of us, which is why I was telling some of those around me to relax. Through her message today, watching her as she greeted members of the congregation after the service, and through my own brief interaction with her, I was proven right. I appreciate that despite her busy schedule, she took the time to be with us for the entire service (and didn't plow through like General MacArthur did on M*A*S*H). If she wants to come to my church again, I'd gladly welcome her.

No comments: