Monday, January 09, 2006

Well, There It Is

Perhaps the toughest job on a Walk to Emmaus weekend is that of the head cook. For years I've said that I would never be head cook. I've even turned the job down once. I've served in every position a lay person can serve on a Walk to Emmaus weekend - except head cook.

But over the years, I think I've softened. S and I have been in charge of dinners and luncheons at various church (and Emmaus) functions so often that I feel I've already done the job of head cook. I've also twice been in charge of logistics whenever the Walk has been held at our church. So I guess that's God's way of telling me I'm qualified to be head cook.

As I've softened my position (though I've kept that to myself until now), I've conceded that if asked to be head cook, I would take it into serious consideration provided someone special asked me - like a group brother. As it turns out, one of my group brothers has been called to serve as lay director in October. And yes, I consider him someone special. And as it turns out, he has asked me today to serve on the October walk as his head cook.

Well, there it is. I certainly will be deep in prayer.

No comments: