Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Arizona Walk to Emmaus #167

Well, it was a lot of fun. Arizona Walk to Emmaus #167 this past Thursday through Sunday was a success - perhaps the best walk ever (as we always say after each walk).

The weekend went off with only a small amount of hitches - which is always to be expected (just like a big wedding). It pretty much ran on schedule. The meals were always ready on time and we only had to wait on the rest of the group only once - and that was only about 15-20 minutes. That's really good, actually!

Albiet a little more shorthanded than I would have liked, the cook team which I was leading did a fantastic job. The menu planning turned out well, and the meats I had ordered from a local wholesaler were top notch.

One of the most touching moments for all of us was when the pilgrims received a Bible. That part of the weekend is always a moving experience. My most cherished moment of that experience occurred right after that when one of our cooks - a big Pacific Islander dressed in an apron which barely fit him and a chef's hat which barely fit him - stood there wiping his eyes.

I, too, received a new Bible during the weekend from my good friend and lay director, M. He gave me a New King James Version Study Bible with a leather carrying case. A Bible is always a wonderful gift - this certainly was no exception.

It was also very tiring. I slept 14 hours Sunday/Monday and layed around all day Monday. Tuesday was better, and today I'm going to be out about when I go to church tonight. Looking back, it was an incredibly busy time preparing for the weekend as well as participating in the weekend. It's been more than a month since I posted, but I should get back into my routine slowly but surely.

All in all, a great weekend.

No comments: