Saturday, October 14, 2006

Election Time Again

It's that time - election season. And this promises to be an interesting one indeed.

Here in Arizona there are ten ballot propositions - no state has more. I haven't had the chance to look at them in any detail, but at least a couple of them are redundant and somewhat condradictory, like the two non/anti-smoking propositions. It's too bad our state legislature is too chicken to tackle these issues on their own, but at least the people get to decide. Sounds like true democracy...hmmm...

Unless she does something really stupid in the next thirty days, Governor Janet Napolitano should win re-election with a slam-dunk. I know somewhat of her challenger, Len Munsill - he used to put his opinion out there on a local Christian radio station. While I agree with some of his viewpoints, he's just a bit too conservative for my tastes. He's also taken quite a harsh stand on a few non-issues. Unfortunately he reminds me of a previous governor from way out in right field: Evan Mecham - and he was impeached.

The immigration issue is a hot topic in Arizona, and I think this election will be a mandate as such. Governor Napolitano has already taken the toughest stand amongst all U.S. governors against the illegal immigration problem which is quite prevalent in our state, and crossed party lines in support of President Bush when he signed the latest Federal legislation to deal with the problem.

We have a hotly contested U.S. Senate race between incumbant Republican John Kyl and his Democratic challenger, John Pederson. Hot-button issues in this race include immigration, homeland security, social security, and even abortion. Again, I think that the mandate on immigration will decide this race, and I think Kyl will prevail.

We also have a hotly contested U.S. House race (thank God not in my district!) between the incumbant Republican J.D. Hayworth and Democratic challenger Harry Mitchell. The ads for this race are clearly contradictory and it's hard to see who's really telling the truth. This one may go along party lines, which would favor Hayworth. I remember when Harry Mitchell was mayor of Tempe - I thought he was an incompetant ass then.

So there it is. I need to study the propositions, and I'll get back with you.

No comments: