Sunday, July 09, 2006

Healing Moments

Well, Pastor B preached his first Sunday with us last week. We had quite a spectacular church service - perhaps a little more high church than some are used to. But nonetheless, a good Sunday. His message was one of healing and reconciliation, something our church needs to hear. I especially was impressed with his message that if we keep Christ in the center and move toward Him, we not only will be closer to Christ, but be closer to each other.

Another healing moment came on Thursday. My wife's cousin was the dean of the junior high camp up at Camp Mingus last week. Since I work half a day on Thursdays, I thought it might be fun to go up for the afternoon and visit. Well, S expressed her desire to go up with me. I thought that was a great idea (I had already thought of her coming up with me before she even mentioned it). S had not been up to camp in ten years. So she hadn't seen the new retreat cabins or any of the other improvements made to the camp. So off we went.

It was a nice afternoon. We drove out of the oppressive heat of Phoenix and entered into cool mountain air, and even enjoyed some rain. At camp we got to see some old friends who happened to be working there also and take part in an afternoon worship service. Dinner was also wonderful - it was roast turkey night.

Whenever I go to Mingus Mountain, I always manage to get at least a little spiritual healing each time (if nothing else). But what S got out of our little excursion was nothing short of miraculous healing. I don't think I've seen her this energized since she was first downed by her series of pancreatitis attacks. What I've seen is some definite emotional and spiritual healing - and perhaps even a little physical healing. It's amazing how the body can be affected by the spirit.

The healing continued throughout the week. At our Emmaus leaders' team meeting, I shared how my own self-doubt had been taking its toll on me. It turns out that I was not alone, that most of my brothers (and sister) in Christ were experience the same feelings of inadequacy. But there is healing when share these burdens together. It's nice to know that God uses broken vessels to carry His Word.

Today's church service was a continuation of the healing from last week. I got to see one of my new little friends from camp; her enthusiastic greeting was healing in itself.

I may be broken, but it is well with my soul.

No comments: