Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Glory of the Olive Elected Pope

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades." Revelation 1:12a,17-18

Today I got a taste of how St. John must have felt when Christ came to him with the Revelation.

We have to back up two weeks. In a nutshell, I posted an article regarding the Prophecy of St. Malachy. According to this prophecy, which has been nearly impossible to discredit, the second-to-last pope was elected today. The prophetic phrase attributed to this pope is Gloria Olivae -The Glory of the Olive. The meaning of "olive" has been unclear. Perhaps it is a reference to the Mount of Olives where Jesus preached about the End of the Age (Matthew 24). It may also refer to the belief that this pope would come from the Order of St. Benedict (the Olivetans).

As far as I could tell as I studied the backgrounds of potential successors (notably Joseph Ratzinger), none were of the Order of St. Benedict. Then a thought was placed in my mind (and I quote myself from my April 5 post: "perhaps the next pope will take the name Benedict XVI..." Needless to say, I was anxiously awaiting the election of this new pope.

This morning around 9:00 there were murmurs around the office about the white smoke at the Vatican. Holy smokes! After logging into various news websites, I could confirm for myself that the new pope was elected. Not too surprisingly, it was Cardinal Ratzinger. Hmmm. In those first few moments, though, they hadn't said what name he took. Everyone was buzzing about the new pope now. I was getting anxious. C'mon, guys, what name did he take? Then when it first came up that he took the name Benedict XVI, I was absolutely stunned - shaky, even. Just like John must have felt when he found himself in Heaven with Christ. So the words I had conveyed were true.

It's interesting to note that St. Benedict himself predicted that before the end of the world, his Order would "triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its fight against evil. " From what I've learned about Pope Benedict XVI so far, he strikes me as a man will do just that, standing up for fundamental Christian values in the face of considerable opposition.

I never imagined that I could share a word of prophecy - His Very Word - and it would come true. And yet God has used me in that capacity. It is very, very humbling - if it weren't for my faith, I'd be terrified right now. But just as Jesus comforted John, he is comforting me too. I just pray that I can remain attentive to God's promptings, and do whatever he has planned for me. Time is running short.

Keep watch, my brethren. Be vigilant.

No comments: