Saturday, July 16, 2005

A Well-Deserved Retreat


This coming week I have a good excuse for not blogging - I will be a camp counselor up on Mingus Mountain. With the hot weather we've been suffering lately, this will be a good respite.

When the kids get there on Monday, it gets to be quite a zoo. However, over the years, I've learned to fully exploit what little quiet time there is. The mornings between about 5:30 and 6:30 (when the campers wake up) is my favorite time. We also get a quiet hour at 1:00 each day. And the stars blazing in the night sky are awesome!

My annual pilgrimmage to Mingus is also a special time that I share with God. Although God is always around us, we are often too distracted to notice. Up at Mingus, I feel that God and I can talk without interruption. Mingus Mountain has always been a special place for me.

I am also surrounded by friends who are very special to me. It's unfortunate that we don't take much opportunity to get together outside of camp. Yet the little time we have together is precious - perhaps a glimpse of heaven itself.

I'm nearly packed and I plan to leave early tomorrow morning. I'm very much looking forward to this. I need a well-deserved retreat.

No comments: