Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Letter to My Church

If you've been reading this blog, you know that we've experienced considerable turmoil at my church. In response to a recent article in our church newsletter, I was compelled by the Holy Spirit to respond with a letter of my own. The opening of my letter pretty much states the testimony I wrote on my home page. The following is an excerpt from the remainder of the letter:

There has been some talk that we need to have more available in [our church] to keep people in our church. I couldn’t agree more. But there is also talk that perhaps there is too much emphasis on worship, and what we offer every Sunday is perhaps too much. Well, I don’t buy that (how do you think I got here? didn’t you just read my testimony?)

Recall the Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30). To make a long story short, three men were entrusted with various amounts of money (called talents) while their master was away. The one who received the most talents did very well, doubling his investment. The one who received the next higher number of talents also doubled his investment. But the one who received the least made no return as he didn't even bother to invest his talents.

Many of the artists who share their talents with [our church] have been blessed with an abundance of those talents. Perhaps without realizing the Scriptural significance of their actions, they are also investing those talents in a place where those talents will get the most return.

Let’s face it. In order to get the most out of his/her talents, one needs to be in a place where they will get the most return for utilizing those talents – it simply does not work elsewhere. If the man with the most talents just buried them, who would have benefited? Nobody!

While [our church] is unique in its music program, that does not mean it is unnecessary or without value. There are few places outside of [our church] where the talents we currently possess can be utilized to their full potential. Some of those other places in the Phoenix area are

not even in a church. And sadly, none of them are in a United Methodist Church.

We have some highly talented people who have made a conscious choice to share their talents in a worship setting at [our church]. And if it appears that those involved with the Worship and Arts seem to jealously guard what they have here at [our church], just know that they are essentially fighting for their home. It’s not like they can just go to another Methodist church in the valley and pick up where they left off – because one simply does not exist. Period.

I happen to be one of those whom God has abundantly blessed with a musical talent. That talent is what God used to lure me into [our church] – and ultimately a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. Sure, God would have found another way – but this was the best way – and in my mind, the only way. So I hope you understand that for me, this is deeply personal. If you discount the mission of our Worship and Arts, then you discount my testimony.

I don't worship at [our church] because it is convenient. I don't drive from Glendale (almost Peoria!) every Thursday night to rehearse because it is convenient. There are at least a dozen pages worth of churches listed in the phone book that are closer to home where I can practice my other spiritual gifts. Our music program is the only thing unique to [our church] that keeps me coming. And what a privilege and honor it is to be able to minister to my church - [our church!] - in a way which I have been so blessed and so much enjoy.

It’s time to drop all the bickering and politicking – NOW! It’s time to work together – as the Body of Christ (read 1 Corinthians, chapter 12). It’s time to give of our time, our resources, and our talents so we can make all this happen. And be the church God intended us to be.

Well, there it is.

No comments: