Sunday, March 26, 2006

A New Beginning for Our Church

This is a day of new beginnings, time to remember and move on, time to believe what love is bringing, laying to rest the pain that's gone.
- The United Methodist Hymnal (1989), pp. 383;
words by Brian Wren, music by Carlton R. Young

Today we got a big announcement at church. In fact, it was pretty huge (I just don't think folks know yet what an impact this will have).

After all kinds of communication with the Annual Conference and things looking grim for our church, it would appear now that the good guys got their point across and our District Superintendant made well-informed and good decision, and appointed a new pastor for us. And when I heard the announcement of who it was this morning, I was extremely pleased.

You see, Pastor B just happens to be someone I know quite well - he is the dean of the music camp I serve at every summer. I know this man to be a humble servant of the Lord and whose words will have a healing effect on our congregation. Pastor B tends to be pretty laid back and lets the staff do their thing at camp. I think when you translate that to running a church, we will be in good hands The laity at our church will once again be given the latitude to succeed - or fail. But in either case, we should be a stronger church under the direction of this man who truly is a shepherd.

It doesn't hurt that Pastor B has a strong musical background and a love for the music that we provide for worship. And he already has a good rapport with our choir director. It would also appear that those who believe our music program is outdated will not find an ally with the new pastor.

Today, I was given a brand new hope. I know what Pastor B can do for our church, and I'm excited again (I even asked to be liturgist on his first Sunday with us). Just when many of us thought that the next chapter would be the last, it now appears it will be a new beginning.

Pastor B often will open a meditation at camp (and I know he says this in his church as well) by saying, "Has anyone told you today that you're special?" Indeed, these are words that my church is aching to hear. I can hardly wait - July can't come soon enough.

No comments: