Sunday, November 27, 2005

Crunch Time At the Old Church

I previously wrote a post regarding my personal struggles with our church, and tonight I feel no closer to a resolution than before.

Let me share a few things that have transpired since that initial post:

First, my wife and I checked out another church I was curious about - that was a tremendously positive experience (as I shared in another post).

Secondly, the results of our latest stewardship campaign are in - and it doesn't look good. As a result of dwindling membership, we are down 69 pledges from last year - and five of those pledges had previously contributed about $30K to our budget. So it's definitely crunch time.

I'm not involved in church politics whatsoever (I prefer to fight in the trenches rather than command), but it's interesting to hear some of the prayer requests coming from people that are - and they indicate that our church is in serious trouble right now

This coming Wednesday evening we are having an all-church conference to discuss our future. It's not expected to be terribly pleasant. We are all being urged to attend and to pray for what needs to be expressed at the meeting.

The truth of the matter is I'm not sure what I should pray for. I could easily see myself joining the church we visited on October 30 - in fact, if it were totally up to me, I'd go. But it's not totally up to me. It depends also on what my wife wants to do and upon circumstances.

A church is not just a facility or its programs - it's the people who make up a church. This other church has a wonderful bunch of people. So does my church. I've invested too much time and effort in these friendships to just walk away from my church.

Our music program is top-notch, and it is not dead - yet. We also have an organ that desperately needs repair or replacement. Another fact to consider is that our contemporary service is drawing slightly more attendance than our traditional service. I fear that our traditional music program is one of the things that may have to be sacrificed in order to save our church. I know that will stir up a lot of controversy in the church, especially amongst my fellow choir members.

There was a time in my life when I was seeking. I wanted more in my musical experience. I knew someone in a particular church choir, and I knew of the choir's reputation. After observing a few rehearsals and performances, I knew that D was more than a choir director; he was a truly a teacher and I could learn more from him. So I joined that church choir, not only finding what I originally sought, but finding things I didn't realize I was seeking. In fact, I'd say I was blessed a hundredfold. My church succeeded in its mission when I was lured there and brought into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.

I have a deep affinity for the music ministry that brought me to my church and kept me there, and was my shining beacon during those times of trouble. I have a deep affinity for the people whom I share in that in ministry, to those who benefit from our ministry.

There are times when God goes to the Vine and prunes those branches that no longer produce. We, as a church, are facing one of those times. What needs to be pruned here? Is the music program one of them? I hope not, but we have to be realistic. We have to be good stewards and make sacrifices if we're going to save this church. And inevitably we will lose people before things turn around.

For that matter, am I someone who is being pruned by God? Is this the circumstance through which I am being pruned? I don't know, but I hope it will become clearer to me in the weeks ahead.

So therein lies my struggle.

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

Thanks for leaving a prayer request on my blog, Paul. I will be praying!!!