Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Runaway Bride

Well, it seems everyone else is talking about this, so I'll put in my two-cents worth.


Okay, so Jennifer Wilbanks pissed off a lot of people by foregoing her wedding. Yes, a lot of resources were used to go look for her and her imaginary captors. And yes, it's likely she broke the law in making a false report.

So what made her snap? C'mon people! A wedding with 14 bridesmaids and 14 groomsmen and 600 guests? My own wedding had just four bridesmaids, four groomsmen, two girls who were about to become my stepdaughters, and only 200 guests (the ringbearer, who became my nephew by the end of the ceremony, was pretty cute, though). Hey, wedding stress is enough to make anyone crazy.

If charged, it's my hope that Jennifer will plead guilty to the misdemeanor charge and get probation. What she did was wrong - a bad judgment decision under stress. But she doesn't deserve to go to jail over it. What I also hope is that Jennifer gets some help. Some professional counseling will do her some good.

I'm thankful that the groom and his family are forgiving. It's the Christian thing to do. It's the right thing to do. It will send Jennifer Wilbanks down the road to true healing. Amen.

No comments: