Friday, November 19, 2004

Memorial Service For A Saint

Last week, the wife of a former pastor at our church passed away quite suddenly and unexpectedly. Today was her memorial service at our church; our choir had the honor of singing for the service.

I don't intend to sound morbid, but I love Christian funerals and memorial services. There's just something about the moment that makes me feel that much closer to God; I believe our spiritual plane is more in line with Jesus'.

I also love to see how full the church is at a memorial service. That typically is a testimony to that person's faith. Today was no exception - the church was packed.

Being that K's husband was a pastor, a district superintendent, and was (with K's help, of course) instrumental in bringing the Walk to Emmaus movement to Arizona, there were lots of people I knew.

Most of the ministers were decked out in their robes, looking quite fine. Our district superintendent was also there, as well as a former bishop to our conference. I must have known at least half of the clergy there.

I really didn't know K - she and Pastor L had already moved on to another church before I started attending CUMC. But I had heard plenty about them, and I knew who they were. Nonetheless, I was quite touched at her memorial service today, as if I knew her all my life.

The music was beautiful. C sang His Eye Is On the Sparrow and the Lord's Prayer. The choir sang The Lord Is My Shepherd by John Rutter (which is part of the Requiem we just sang a couple of weeks ago) and also John Rutter's The Lord Bless You And Keep You. That one chokes me up anyway, let alone what it did to me today.

Despite the circumstances, it was a joyous occasion. I talked to a lot of friends (including ministers) that I hadn't seen for a while. Even the minister that married S and I was there.

One thing is certain - K was very much loved, and now she's in a far better place, walking with Jesus.

No comments: