Sunday, December 19, 2004

Christmas Spirit

For the first time in years, I feel like I really have the Christmas spirit in full force. I can't really put my finger on why, except to say that perhaps I've learned to pace myself.

Granted this is a very busy time of year. So many demands are made on our time and our money. It seems that the more I've said "Bah, humbug," the more down I get. But if I take the lead of George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life and just say "Merry Christmas!" no matter how pressured I feel, the better I feel.

It was last year I decided to pace myself more, and just work into the season gradually. Boy, what a difference that made!

This year has been no exception; in fact I've made it more of a point to get with it and stop fighting it. I started with a little bit of Christmas shopping a few weeks ago. I finished the bulk of it yesterday (I used to pride myself on doing all of my Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve - my record is two hours and fifteen minutes). Now that the shopping is about done, however, I feel much more relaxed.

Our plans for Christmas dinner are pretty much set (just need to confirm the time, that's all). We all know where we're going and who's bringing what for dinner. Nice.

It was this morning that I fully realized the joy of the season. We had a wonderful contemporary worship service this morning, with the contemporary choir singing, with lessons and carols. The youth that took part did an awesome job as well. My wife S was singing in the choir while I sat with our daughters and grandson in the congregation. The service was put together completely by our worship leader. It was amazing, uplifting, and very worshipful.

Although I got over bronchitis a week ago, I seem to be catching a cold. I've got the sore throat and everything. I'm wondering how well I'll be able to sing for the Christmas Eve services. Yet I'm looking forward to how this week will play out. As chaplain of the Sanctuary Choir, I have a really wonderful devotion planned for Thursday's rehearsal, based on a story I saw on TV last night (I will share that with you all later). So I really hope to be in good health just for that. I am optimistic. I feel that with today's infusion of joy, I am being sustained - even healed (my sore throat is better, and it feels as if my cold is actually going away rather than progressing).

Ah, but I ramble on. I think you get my drift. I'm feelin' it!

No comments: