Sunday, December 05, 2004

No Wonder We Can't Understand Each Other

I was reading another blog where they had used Babelfish.com to translate a previous post into Spanish, then back to English. It was rather funny. So I thought I'd try the same thing and see what I could come up with. I translated a statement into various languages, then back to English. Here are my results:


Original text in English: My cat thinks I am weird; the feeling is mutual, I assure you.

Chinese: My cat thought I am strange; The feeling is mutual, I guarantee you.

Dutch: My cat thinks I bizar is; the feeling is reciprocal, insures I you. The Dutch word bizar did not translate back to English, but I think it's pretty obvious.

French: My cat thinks that I am strange; the feeling is mutual, I ensure you. This is the most normal of the bunch. See, the French can do some things right.

German: My cat thinks that I am strange; the feeling is, I insures you mutually.

Greek: My ga'ta thinks that I am strange the sentiment he is reciprocal, to you I certify.

Japanese: My cat thinks of that I am incomprehensible; Mutual, me you guarantee feeling, is. Sounds kinda like Yoda, if you ask me.

Korean: It goes out and the thing which is weird my cat thinks; The sense believes firmly the trade name, or. Huh??????????

Portuguese: My cat thinks that I am I find odd; the feeling is mutual, me assures it. I like this one.

Russian: My tomcat thinks 4 weird; feeling is mutual, 4 convince you. Now how did they know we have a male cat? Is that old KGB still out there?

Spanish: My cat thinks that I am strange; the sensation is mutual, I assures to him.

And here's my personal favorite -

Italian: My cat thinks that it is bizzarro; the sensibility is mutual, I assures them. I just like the word bizzarro. Heck, I've even used it in a sentence or two.


I think this clearly demonstrates how easily things get lost in translation.

By the way, any resemblance of the above statement to me and my cat is purely coincidental.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

I got your note about my site - as you saw my passion, when I'm not working, is travel, to see places yes, but more important to me is meeting people and learning about different cultures. I've been blessed with the opportunity to travel the world and meet some truly amaing people. Some of the greatest experiences of my life however have come right here at home, getting to know neighbors... All the best this Christmas season!
Daryl