Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Jihad

You know there's a lot of debate going on over our involvement in the Middle East, particularly our military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.


I'm not really crazy on the whole idea of going to war. I know a couple of young men in Iraq, and I know quite a few people who have sons or daughters who have been there, are there now, or in all likelihood will end up there. I pray for them daily.

Our President has stated that we are not targeting Islam. And he is correct. But that seems to have created a lot of confusion amongst the public because, after all, the ones we're going after are Muslims. But much of the public does not realize what kind of enemy we are up against.

First, let me remind you that we did not start this war. If you have forgotten that, perhaps you need to take a look at this picture again:



(source: www.knoxstudio.com/SIEGE/slideshow/wtc)

The image you see here is when the jihad came to America. Islamic terrorists have had America in their sights for quite some time and they mean it.

Muslims claim The Five Pillars of Islam in the practice of their faith: Creed, Prayer, Fasting, Almsgiving, and Pilgrimage. Some Muslims claim a sixth pillar of faith: Jihad, or Holy War, which entails physical battle and strict discipline. This violence is even sanctioned in the Qu'ran:

So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving,
Merciful. [Surah 9:5]

Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.
[Surah 9:29]

There are many who say that Islam is a peaceful religion (given the Five Pillars of Faith by themselves, it is). So what of these violent extremists? And then there's those troubling passages advocating violence against non-Muslims. So what of those many millions of peaceful Muslims? Do you not see the contradiction?

I suppose I could get a better viewpoint by reading the Qu'ran. But I don't see the point in doing that. George Carlin once said (and I paraphrase): "Do you ever look for something and then say, 'It was in the last place I looked!' Well of course it was in the last place you looked! You don't find something and then keep looking for it!" I don't desire to read the Qu'ran because I have already found that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to God except through him. [John 14:6, paraphrased] Period.

Now I'm not saying that Christians are perfect. Far from it. In fact, I can best show you a count of all the perfect Christians I know by hiding my hands behind my back. But through the grace and love of God (which Islam doesn't even mention) played out in the death of Jesus, we are redeemed.

Jesus taught that conversion was act of faith, not forced upon. History has shown that in the lands conquered by Muslims, those who did not convert were enslaved or killed. In a Muslim society, there is only one way to be politically correct - there is no alternative. In that kind of faith, where is the devotion?

There are some evil people out there who very much want to take their jihad to America. The last time they tried, 3000 innocent people were killed. How many will it be next time? That's the reason why we're in Iraq and Afghanistan - so that there will be no next time. But if we let ourselves withdraw without eliminating the threat, there definitely will be a next time. How many will die then? Who will it be? Will it be you? Your children? You wanna take that chance?

There may come a time when others try to force their beliefs on us. Ain't gonna happen to me. Granted another person can kill my body, but they can't kill my soul - it belongs to Jesus now. Jihad? Bring it on.

I've read the Book. I've read the Ending. We won. As far as I'm concerned, I'm already on the winning side.

No comments: