Saturday, September 11, 2004

THE DISCLAIMER -
A.K.A. Discussing Religion and Politics in Polite (Politically Correct) Society

Well, here's a hot potato. Another good reason to blog.

During an interview on A&E's Biography, J.K. Rowling, author of the immensly popular Harry Potter series, was asked about those who criticized her work, saying that it promoted witchcraft, the occult, etc. She stated that if they didn't like Harry Potter, then they shouldn't her books.

Thus my disclaimer: If you don't like what I have to say here, then don't read it. Build a bridge, get over it, and move on. After all, I listen to all your opinions and you don't hear me crab about it. It's a free country (thank God) and you have the right to express it whether I agree with you or not. Now if they ever take away that freedom, then you'll hear me crab about it.

Politics: I typically don't discuss politics. It's not that I'm not interested. It's just too emotional and potentially devastating. I was visiting my grandmother years ago and, as usual, she was muttering at the evening news (I think Dan Rather was on). I mentioned that the country's problems were because of all the damned liberal Democrats in Congress, to which she replied, "I'm a damned liberal Democrat!" Oops. Since then, I've vowed never to discuss politics with friends and relatives and otherwise polite company.

Well, now I've let the cat out of the bag and you have a pretty good indication where I stand politically. Or do you? In my first presidential election, I voted for John Anderson (that was 1980 - when Reagan defeated Carter). I also voted for H. Ross Perot (whatever year that was). I'm not always content with the status quo, but I'm not always content with the strongest challenger.

Overall, I consider myself a moderate conservative, and I tend to vote Republican as I get older. Go figure.

But what's really important here is that each of us should vote with our conscience. Know what you stand for, research the candidates and issues, and vote for those who share your opinions.

There's still a lot of griping over the 2000 Presidential election. I truly believe that if the voter turnout had been higher, the result would have been different. If you were over 18 and didn't vote, you have only yourself to blame. So quit your whining and get to the polls.

Religion: I am a Christian, and some might say I'm fundamentalist in my beliefs. I believe the Holy Bible to be the very Word of God, written by those divinely touched by God. I believe that there is a reason for each and every word written in the Bible.

There are some around me who may not share the same theological views as I do. As in politics, I tend not to discuss these differences with these individuals. Perhaps my faith is not strong enough to have emboldened me to do so? Perhaps God has not called upon me to do so? I don't know. Maybe I don't want to rock the boat. Maybe these are just excuses for me to cop out. But perhaps it's just the guidance from that still, small voice of Jesus Christ in my heart that says, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39, Mark 12:31)

Along with that strong belief in the Bible, you'll note that I'm a strong believer in prophecy in regards to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Did you know that in the Bible there more five times more prophecies regarding Christ's second coming than there are regarding his first? That's amazing! In fact, some of those prophecies have already come true and we have witnessed others being fulfilled in our lifetime. I truly feel that we may see the Second Coming in our lifetime. Some of the signs are here already (Matthew, ch. 24; Mark, ch. 13; Luke, ch. 21)

So that's my religion and politics in a nutshell (yes, I may be a nut, but I like me this way).

No comments: