Friday, September 17, 2004

Passion Shows the Great Extent of Jesus' Love

In case there was any doubt in your mind how much Jesus loves you, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ should wipe out any such doubt. In case you didn't catch it in the theaters, this film is now available on video and DVD. I got a smokin' deal for it at Walmart for $14.88.
.
I did catch it in the theaters during its first week. The Passion of the Christ has left an indelible mark on my soul and has strengthened my faith as a Christian even more. I must say that after seeing this film, I will never take communion the same way again.
*
Yes, it is quite bloody, and hard to watch. I found myself shuddering each time Jesus was struck while he was scourged nearly to death. When the Roman soldiers whipped him as he carried the cross, I wanted to yell out, "Leave him alone, already!"
**
I am thankful that Mel Gibson chose to get real when portraying the Passion. Too often the Passion is treated in a sanitized, girly-man manner. The fact is that Jesus bore so much of the agony that we ourselves deserve. That is what becomes so obvious in this film.

No comments: