Monday, September 20, 2004

Like An Angry Cat

When I was a boy, we had this white cat. Although we loved him dearly, he was the meanest cat I've ever known. It was not uncommon for him to come home a little beat up after a cat fight - which in most cases he won. We even saw him chase after dogs!
.
I still have some scars to attest to the vicious nature of this cat. As most little boys do, I played with this cat, and sometimes it was a little rough. He didn't like that, and he would let me know. Usually it wasn't a little scratch or bite either. This cat would latch onto you with claws fully extracted and teeth chomping.
.
As I got a little older, I got a little wiser. No, I still teased the cat. But I found I could sometimes disarm him by holding him down on the floor by the scruff of the neck. After a few minutes, the outcome would be: (1) he would calm down, (2) my dad would rescue me, (3) I would let go and make a hasty escape or (4) I would let go and get clobbered anyway (the most likely outcome).
.
I see our involvment in Iraq in a similar fashion. American and British military forces, along with a small collection of other nations' forces are currently holding an angry cat by the scruff of the neck. Occasionally a paw comes out and takes a swipe. The possible outcomes are similar. I don't see this cat calming down. I also don't see us able to let go and make a hasty escape.
.
One last scenario poses an interesting thought. Remember how my dad would rescue me? All I had to do was call out to him. Perhaps we, too, should call out to our "dad" - yes, God. That's all we have to do, call out to God and ask Him to deliver our troops from their dangerous situation. But sadly, I don't see that happening either.
.
I also shudder to think what Iraq would be like in a total state of anarchy, a huge base of operations for terrorists to strike anywhere around the world at any time. Imagine a few men who are empowered by Satan inflaming millions who already follow a lost religion.
.
It is like an angry cat - ready to pounce.

No comments: